Sometimes you just need a little chocolate, you know?
Maybe you’ve had a bad day. Perhaps it’s been a long week. Or Maybe it’s 11 am. Or maybe, just maybe, it’s breakfast and you feel like chocolate. And that’s okay. Welcome to the gang. Made by Margie is all about healthy indulgences, have your chocolate and eat it too….we’re just going to make it that little bit healthier, so it’s much better for you and will leave you feeling great.
These chocolate waffles taste decadently delicious, but they really don’t have any bad stuff in them. They’ve got banana in the base, which we all know makes delicious pancakes. And, have them with a side of fruit and a sprinkling of nuts for an added burst of goodness.
I made these the other day for my housemate for a lazy weekend brunch and she loved them. But they would also make a wonderful afternoon tea…or pop a candle in and you’ve got a lovely alternative to a birthday cake for a special someone.
I’ve been really experimenting with waffles recently, did you see these? You could have a waffle party, and start with those beauties and finish off with these little goodies. Winning? I think so.
A combination of discovering how easy waffles are to make…(spoiler alert: they’re just the same as pancakes), and getting the waffle machine of dreams has meant that my kitchen has basically become a mini (or massive) waffle factory. I might turn into a waffle soon. Not that I would count that as a bad thing…
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (you can also use honey, or agave, or even soft brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup almond milk (or you can use dairy milk if that way inclined)
- 1 banana
- 1½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- handful of chopped pistachios
- tablespoon of melted dark chocolate
- handful of strawberries
- mint sprigs
- Get the waffle maker heating up.
- If you don't have one, don't worry, you can also fry these as pancakes
- Then get cracking on the waffles. Mash the banana with a fork, and then mix with the milk and the vanilla.
- Add all the other ingredients and give it a good mix. Add a little more milk if necessary - it should be thickish...Ie. It should drop off the spoon easily, but don't, whatever you do, make it like a soup.
- Now cook according to your waffle machine instructions.
- Stack 'em high and drizzle with melted chocolate. Serve with chopped pistachios and strawberries.
Bet you want to lick the screen?
Well, don’t as it won’t be very delicious, but do give these waffles a go and let me know what you think. Tag me @madebymargie