Canapés are one of my favourite things to both make and eat.
At parties, (the ones I am at rather than catering for), you will find me positioned tactically close to the kitchen. I’m probably only pretending to listen to what the person I am talking to is saying, eyes both firmly fixed on the kitchen door. I can’t help but exclaim when I see they are bringing out a round that I yet to sample, and I have even, I’m ashamed to admit, raised my hand, like a child in the classroom.
I am the person that the waiters start to dodge, so that they can find people at the back of the room who are yet to taste a canapé.
In fact, I am the very person that I tell my staff to steer clear of. I know that story will ring true with more than a few of you. My fellow canapé lovers. In fact, I have been making canapés professionally for 5 years (unprofessionally for…twenty odd years) and extensive research has shown me that people love canapés!
I think it’s because they look so pretty. Or maybe it’s because they are, or should be, perfectly portioned to one delicious bite. They feel delicate and delicious. And I love them.
I’ve shared several of my most popular canapé recipes with you over the years, and I’ve had so many messages from people saying that they love them and they’ve become firm favourites at family parties. So I thought it was about time I shared a lovely, light, and Summery canapé with you all.
This is a simple, yet delicious party favourite which I know you will love.
You also get to experience the unique joy of scooping out cucumbers with a melon baller. It’s wonderfully satisfying.
- 3 long cucumbers
- 500g white crab meat
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- small bunch chives, finely chopped
- small bunch of chopped coriander
- 2 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the peel from the cucumbers using a vegetable peeler. I think it looks pretty to remove the peel in alternate strips.
- Then, cut the cucumber into 2 inch slices. Using a small melon baller, scoop out most of the inside. You want to leave the walls and a thick portion of the bottom intact.
- These are then ready to go.
- Mix the crab meat, with the mayonnaise. Add the sweet chilli, the fish sauce, lime zest and juice.
- Give it a good stir and then add the chopped spring onions, chives and coriander. Taste, and season accordingly.
- When your guests arrive top each cucumber round with a teaspoon of the crab mixture.
- Adorn with edible flowers or a sprinkling of chopped chives.
- Hostess with the mostess.
You can easily make this mixture the night before the party. If doing that, don’t stir the chopped herbs, just sprinkle them on the top, and when ready to serve give them a good mix.
Once the canapés are assembled, they will be great for a good couple of hours. You want to gobble them before then.
Hope you love them!
Don’t forget to sign up to Made by Margie – just pop your email address in the box. x