Gentleman may prefer blondies…but ladies love these too. Delicious sweet potato peanut butter blondies. Some one pass me a plate..
If Marilyn Monroe had been an edible sweet treat, I would argue she would have been one of these sweet potato blondies. They can sashay with the best of them and they have the sort of husky voice which makes your knees melt. These sweet potato blondies ooze chocolate like Marilyn oozed sexiness.
These peanut butter blondies are ridiculous. That’s the only word for them. They are ridiculously delicious. AND they are ridiculously easy to make. Totally ridiculous.
If you loved my no pudge chocolate fudge brownies, or my healthier melt-in-the-middle chocolate chip cookies, then I know you are going to absolutely love these blondies.
These blondies are gluten-free, made with deliciously nutty buckwheat flour, but of course if gluten isn’t an issue for you, plain flour also works wonderfully – just switch in and switch out as you like. They are beautiful squishy because they have a sneaky little sweet potato smuggled in there. Yes, I know, any excuse to use a sweet potato! They use deliciously dark chocolate and I’ve used maple syrup and dates in them instead of refined sugar to intensify the flavour and to give them a rich caramel-ly flavour. Sugar is still sugar but I like to play around with the different flavours the different types of sugars can give a dish.
So there we have it. Delicious and easy, what’s not to love?
To make about 20 little bites of heaven
- 1 large sweet potato
- 14 medjool dates, pitted stone removed
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons buckwheat flour
- ½ cup of ground almonds (almond flour)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- a cup of dark chocolate, broken into chunks - I used 75% dark chocolate, but feel free to use sugar free, dairy free or any choc you like!
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Now, peel the sweet potato and chop into small chunks. Steam it until soft. Either pop it into a steamer over boiling water. Or in the absence of a steamer I always just use a colander balanced over a saucepan. I'm pretty fancy like that. OR if you are in a hurry, you can pop the sweet potato into a bowl, cover with cling film and pop it in the microwave for about 3-4 minutes until perfectly soft.
- Then, pop everything other than the chocolate chips into a food processor.
- Blend until it comes together to quite a sticky dough.
- How easy was that??
- Now, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Line a baking tray which is 10 inches by 7 inches with baking parchment
- Tip the mixture into the tin. It is sticky and you will need to smoosh it down. But he who perserveres wins...
- Lick the spoon. This is mandatory. You are absolutely not one of the gang if you don't lick the spoon.
- Bake for about 20 mins. The top should be firm to the touch.
- Leave to cool for as long as you can bear it.
- Then slice into chunks and dive in.
Complete and utter heaven.
And one little snap of the blondies posing with a fern…just because…