Chicken wings are one of my favourite things at the moment. They are so easy to cook, they are completely delicious and whats more – you get to wear a bib when you eat them. Now that’s a winning combination in my book. These sticky sesame wings are so so good!
The best thing is you can kind of bung in different ingredients, and as long as you stick to a few key essentials, they will be seriously good!
Chicken wings are also really good value for money which is always a bonus.
Something I learned the hard way….DON’T SERVE CHICKEN WINGS ON A DATE. Trust. It’s impossible to look attractive. If you’re anything like me, you can’t eat wings without wearing a napkin as a bib, which weirdly, I don’t think guys are that into. You end up with food all over your cheeks and then you end up licking your fingers which just isn’t great for date etiquette. I always try extra hard on dates to eat in a dainty and delightful manner, and chicken wings do nothing to aid in this.
Okay, so down to the secrets of getting the perfect sticky wings. This is a top secret, so I hope you’re listening closely…You need something….sticky. Ta dah! Honey is my sticky weapon of choice. I’m actually struggling to think of a sticky alternative. I guess Agave Nectar would be a good choice if you really wanted to, but it doesn’t quite have the same stickiness of honey.
Anyway, beyond that, there are some other things you can bung in to the mix. This list is by no means exhaustive. Brown sugar, ketchup, sweet chilli sauce, apple puree, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, olive oil, balsamic vingear, cumin, paprika, dried chilli flakes.
As a basic rule of thumb, if you toss the chicken wings in a combination of the above, with some honey, and pop them in the oven for 35 – 40 mins, you will have a delicious feast on your hands…literally all over your hands
The longer you are able to marinate the wings for, the better! So if you are organised the day before, then the wings will be even more delicious, although don’t panic – wings that are marinated and cooked there and then are still great!
But! Having said all that, give my recipe a go, and you will know for sure you won’t go wrong! I love the addition of the sesame seeds at the end which get lovely and crispy and just make the whole thing dreamy.
- 24 chicken wings
- 7 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce
- 1-2 cm piece of ginger , grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 spring onions , finely sliced
- In a bowl mix together the honey, the soy sauce, sweet chilli, ginger and garlic. Give it a good stir. It should be good and sticky and should smell heavenly!
- Then pour over the chicken wings, and allow to mingle for as long as you have.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 200C.
- Tip the wings onto a baking tray and cook in the hot oven for about 35-40 minutes.
- minutes before the end take them out and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Serve in a big pile sprinkled with the chopped spring onions.