I ummed and ahhhed about what to call these and then I thought I would forget a sophisticated or clever name and just go with one of those does-what-it-says-on-the-tin sort of names. So here is a lovely recipe for some squidgy nutty date balls.
I seen a few recipes for something similar to these described as ‘raw brownies’, but I have to admit these do not taste anything like a brownie. I’m not saying they aren’t delicius because they are. They are squidgy like a brownie and I suppose they could get a job masquerading as a brownie. From a distance. If you closed an eye and maybe turned your head 90° to the West.
So, if you are expecting a brownie, these may disappoint. However, if you are looking for a seriously good, super quick to make, deliciously squidgy snack to keep you from reaching for the cookie jar – these are just the ticket. The ticket to a cracking bikini bod and a healthier you.
Whip some of these up in two ticks and keep them in the fridge for whenever you need a little energy burst. Dates are rich in minerals and have a range of health benefits, including being great for the digestive system and they can help with night blindness. Yup you read that right. So, if you are wanting to rid yourself of those night vision goggles, get guzzling these squidgy nutty date balls. The nuts are a good source of the healthy mono unsaturated fats and are also full of nutrients and the raw cacao powder is full of nutrients too…so these really are seriously good for you!
These couldn’t be easier to make, so give them a go and let me know what you think!
I find it’s easiest to use a normal mug that you drink your tea from for this, as this way there is much less faff and no weighing necessary.
- 2 cups medjool dates
- ½ cup pecans
- ½ cups walnuts
- 2 tablespoons of raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, or agave nectar, or date syrup (optional)
- Simply pop the nuts into a food processor and blend until they are roughly ground.
- Then add your dates - making sure you have taken all the stones out of them, add the sweetener and the cacao powder and blend again until the mixture comes together and forms a ball.
- Roll into balls and pop into the fridge to firm up for about an hour before eating.
- Or you can smoosh into a lined baking tray and then cut into squares if you prefer square shaped food. Of course, technically these would no longer be Squidgy Nutty Date Balls, but they will still be delicious.
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram @madebymargie for lots more foodie photos x