Smoked mackerel paté has to be one of the easiest things to make and it just so happens to be absolutely delicious.
I still get a bit shocked when I see it being sold in supermarkets and delis because it is just so quick and easy to make.
- about 400g smoked mackerel
- 200g cream cheese ( I normally plump (pun intended) for full fat, but feel free to be virtuous and go for the low calorie option)
- 2 lemons. zest and juice
- generous grind of pepper
- 4cm fresh horseradish root or 1 tablespoon creamed horseradish (optional and to taste)
- First, peel the skin off the mackerel, which I always find oddly satisfying
- Then pop everything into a food processor and whizz for a few seconds. I think its nicer not totally smooth – still with a bit of texture to it. Of course if you don’t have a food processor you could always mash it with a fork, just use a bit of elbow grease if you do it this way
- This can now be popped into the fridge until it’s needed. Although i have to admit, mine never makes it to the fridge
- Serve with melba toast for a lovely starter, or if you are scoffing it yourself, just serve with lots of hot buttery toast.