These skinny dippers are a complete revelation.
These might just be the easiest chicken nuggets I’ve ever made and they are seriously delicious. Because they’re made without breadcrumbs, they don’t have that greasy, bready feeling to them which lots of people don’t like. Don’t get me wrong, I think there is a time and a place for greasy bread chicken nuggets, but this is not then.
They have a secret ingredient and like all the best secret ingredients you would NEVER be able to guess what it is.
I suppose I will have to tell you…it’s ground almonds! You simply use ground almonds instead of breadcrumbs and it gives the nuggets the most lovely texture and flavour in a matter of seconds!
I honestly think they make the nuggets far scrummier and you don’t have to faff around with whizzing up breadcrumbs…(yes, I am that lazy). Of course you could grind your own almonds but I am a sloth and I like to buy them ready ground so it really is just a case of opening the packet and pouring them into a bowl. The almonds are filling so you don’t need many of these to feel satisfied which makes them a great option when you need something quick but satisfying.
Pair them with the sweet potato fries for a delicious supper that the whole family will love.
It goes without saying, these are also incredibly quick and easy to make. Total winner in my book!
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into strips (or to make it even easier, buy the mini chicken fillets that are already cut into handy strips)
- 60 g ground almonds (I don’t actually tend to measure things like this, just guess – you will need about a large handful, the more you guess, the better you will get at it and the less you will need to use your scales which will speed the whole process up!)
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of paprika
- Sprinkle of dried herbs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 x lined baking trays
- Take two bowls. Crack two eggs into one of the bowls.
- Pour your almonds into the other bowl, season with salt and pepper, and add your paprika and dried herbs.
- Now, you are ready to start your little production line. Place your chicken on the left, then the bowl of eggs, then the almonds, and have the lined baking tray and the right.
- Try to use one hand to do this, its what the pro’s do…and that way if the phone rings or you need to itch your nose, which will inevitably happen once both your hands are covered in gunk, you are free to do so!
- Dip the chicken pieces in the egg, and then toss them in the almonds, make sure they’ve got a good coating and then place on the baking tray.
- Repeat until they are all done
- Move the chips down a shelf in the oven and put the skinny dippers on the top shelf
- The chicken should take about 25 mins, it should be nice and crispy when it’s done. But when the time is up, remove from the oven and cut one of the fattest ones in half to check that the chicken is cooked through, if not just pop it back in for a few minutes.
- Serve with lashings of tomato ketchup and mayonnaise
- I served mine with a green salad squeezed with lemon juice, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and I chopped a gherkin and some parsley and stirred this through the mayonnaise….yum!
This recipe was originally published on Oct 4, 2013 but it’s such a gorgeous recipe so I decided to give it a little make over and reshoot the photo. Hope you enjoy! x