Skinny chocolate truffles I hear you cry? You are welcome. Thank you very much. Amen.
This might be a controversial thing to say but I’m going to say it. I prefer these skinny chocolate truffles to the traditional creamy chocolate truffle we are all used to. I even prefer these to my amazing passionfruit chocolate truffles…(that being said if you haven’t tried these yet, you must!)
Like all the best things in life I sort of made these by accident. I feel a little like Richard Jones must have felt. You know who Richard Jones is? No? Well he was only the incredibly clever chap who was the one and only…inventor of the….slinky. Yup. He was in actual fact trying to create a meter to monitor the power on a naval ship, but what he actually created was a spring that can climb down stairs all on it’s own. SO much better I think we can all agree. Where would we be without the slinky….?
Perhaps I was a little more chuffed than Richard Jones when my original plan went awry and instead I stumbled upon these. My skinny chocolate truffles may not be able to bounce around of their own accord, but they will help to make you so full of bounce you could give a slinky a run for it’s money!
These heavenly little morsels are made up of coconut butter which is just amazing and is not only delicious but which actually boosts your metabolism, which aids in weight loss and increases energy levels. It’s also packed with healthy fats, so you feel full longer. Instead of cocoa powder, these truffles are made of cacao which unlike cocoa powder cacao is not refined, which means that it still contains all of the original vitamins and minerals that are lost in the process of making cocoa. Chocolate that is truly good for you! These truffles are also packed full of goji berries which are bursting with antioxidants. A sprinkling of Maca powder takes the power of these delicious little truffles from the great to the sublime. Maca comes from a root that belongs to the radish family, found in Peru and is a miracle maker. It can boost energy levels and improve stamina, so it’s great for all of the sporty little beans out there. It can also help with women’s menstrual issues, as well as helping to alleviate mood swings and depression. It has also been shown to help with fertility problems and to increase libido as well as helping with acne prone skin! Seriously, it seems there is nothing this little powder can’t do.
Perhaps best of all these little truffles could not be easier to make and take two seconds in the food processor. Absolutely no cooking involved whatsoever. Hurrah! (I probably shouldn’t say that…being a chef and all…) They are also lactose free, and gluten free. So everyone can enjoy these! But I promise more than anything they are absolutely delicious and you will want to gobble the whole lot. Which you absolutely can do, because these are truffles that are actually good for you!
- 1 cup coconut butter
- ¼ cup agave syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tbsp dried goji berries
- 1 heaped teaspoon maca powder
- 4 medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
- Simply pop the coconut butter, (dont worry - it will be in solid form, that's absolutely fine) agave and cacao powder in the food processor and pulse for a few seconds.
- Stop the processor. Take a spoon and take a scoop. Heaven in a mouthful? Okay, so now put the spoon somewhere out of reach so you dont eat the whole lot.
- Add all the remaining ingredients - don't forget to take the stones out of the dates. Then pulse everything together for about twenty seconds
- And.. you're done! Scoop out with a tablespoon and roll into balls. Don't worry if they are slightly odd shapes, you want everyone to know you made these yourself, so looking homemade is a good thing!
- Once you've rolled the mixture, you can leave them as they are and they will be perfect. Or roll them in cacao powder for some extra glitz, OR if you really want these to dazzle, roll in some desiccated coconut. True perfection.
These will keep in the fridge happily for 5 days, but good luck with that. They’ve never lasted that long in my house. These would be the perfect gift to take to someones house, or serve as the perfect petit four after a meal. They are also an amazing pick me up at the 11 am slump, so take them to work with you and never slump again!