I’m almost embarrassed at how simple this salad is….almost. But then I decided that it is too good not to share and with this beautiful sunny weather we are getting at the moment, a simple salad could be just the ticket.
The warm weather always seems to makes everyone want to eat a little lighter and wave goodbye to chunky winter soups and hearty heavy winter staples. This little salad is a real gem (lettuce). Chuckle chuckle. It makes a beautiful side salad to accompany a grilled steak, or perhaps a roasted salmon fillet. It goes with pretty much anything. Don’t let its simple façade fool you, it ticks all the boxes on the texture front, with crisp lettuce leaves, silky smooth avocado and the merest hint of crunch from the chia seeds.
It’s also packed full of goodness. Avocados are just about the best thing since sliced bread. In fact they are so good, I propose we start a campaign to change that sentence to “the best thing since a perfectly ripe avocado”. Do it. They really are one of the healthiest foods, because they contain in excess of 25 essential nutrients, including vitamin A, B, C, E, & K, copper, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium. As well as being a great source of fibre they also have amazing anti-inflammatory properties. Take that sliced bread. The chia seeds also add a glamourous sparkle to this lovely salad. These little miracle seeds are also an amazing source of fibre, just two tablespoons gives you half the amount you need daily for healthy function. Excellent news, as fibre helps speed up the rate at which toxins and waste are removed from the body, as well as helping you to feel fuller for longer. The chia seeds miraculous properties do not end there, no siree. They also help you to keep you feeling full because once they are eaten they absorb up to ten times their weight in liquid. I told you not to underestimate this salad!
- 1 gem lettuce heart
- ½ avocado
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- squeeze of lemon juice
- sprinkle of salt and pinch of pepper
- Simply cut the root off the end of the gem lettuce heart, and then separate the leaves by snapping each one off separately. Place at random on a large plate
- Peel half an avocado and slice into slivers and lie languorously amongst the lettuce leaves.
- Drizzle with olive oil, a sprinkling of salt and a dash of pepper.
- Sprinkle on the chia seeds.
- Serve as an accompaniment to any meat or fish. This is the most perfect salad to serve at a barbecue.
- I took mine a step further last night and added some broccoli and flaked roasted salmon fillet and it was completely heavenly!
So simple, so delicious and so good for you! What more could you ask for?
Have you signed up to the Made by Margie emails? No? Don’t panic! It couldn’t be simpler, just pop your email into the box on the right hand side and relax in the knowledge you will never miss another post again. Phew!