Like Desert Island Discs but where you are being sent to a kitchen instead.
Whilst I agree Desert Island Kitchen Kit might not be as catchy as its namesake,I thought it might be useful to do a post about the most useful kitchen items that I couldn’t
live cook without. Especially since Christmas is looming and Father Christmas might need ideas…
My kitchen is bulging with more kit than most because essentially my kitchen is my office. I completely understand that most people wouldn’t deem four different types of sieve strictly necessary. But I also know that for quite a few people not having the right kitchen kit is enough to put them off trying a new recipe. It’s definitely worth spending a little bit of money (you don’t need to spend a fortune) and getting a few key items and then no recipe will be beyond you!
You wouldn’t believe the number of kitchens I have cooked in where they didn’t even have a wooden spoon! Yup. Cooking a three course supper for 18 people on my own with one saucepan, a bottle opener and a candle was a bit of a challenge. Okay, so I’m exaggerating, but I’m trying to prove a point. Believe me when I tell you it will make your life so much easier if you have a few basic essentials.
Here’s the first part of what I have decided to be the most important kitchen essentials.
In no particular order:
1. Large non-stick frying pan. This is the only frying pan you will ever need. You can use this pan for everything, and it’s amazing because it can go in the oven. Sear a fillet of beef and then whack it straight in the oven in this pan! Or its eggscellent for popping in the oven to finish off a frittata. It’s also big enough to fit quite a few servings of whatever you are cooking. Bigger is better.2. Non-stick saucepan. Sometimes the thought of washing the pan up after making scrambled egg is enough to make me not want to make scrambled egg. And I love scrambles. Don’t worry greed conquers laziness and I always end up making the scrambles. Invest in one of these non stick saucepans and washing up is easy, breezy, (beautiful).
3. Microplane grater. I could wax lyrical about my microplane grater all day. But then I would probably have no friends. So instead I will just tell you that buying this grater will make your life in the kitchen so much easier. I take mine to every job I do. Amazing for zesting lemons and limes, and amazing for grating cheese and producing parmesan snow.
4. Measuring jug, this is one of my favourite items – is it a jug, is it a bowl? It’s a jowl. Or a bug. Whatever. It’s really useful, you can whip up some brownie batter all in one place and then pour it into it’s dish. Genius.
Obviously you don’t have to get this one, you could just get a measuring jug which is just a jug. They have feelings too.
5. Kitchen scales. These are essential for baking and having electronic, easy to use ones will make your life so much easier. These are the ones I have and I think they’re the best. After thirty years of using an old fashioned set of scales that look like this….
my mum has finally caved and bought some electronic ones and asked me why she didn’t do that 29 years and 363 days ago…
6. Spatula – so useful for scraping bowls. Not good news for the bowl licker. But then the spatula will probably need a lick…
7. large mixing bowl – I love these metal ones which are much lighter than the more beautiful ceramic ones,
but if you love the beautiful things in life than go for one of these beauties
Cliffhanger Alert: Make sure you check back for the second part of your Essential Desert Island Kitchen Kit… (DRAMATIC MUSIC)