Twitt twooo (thats the noise you make if you can’t wolf whistle. Which I can’t), and boy do these little mousses deserve a cracking great whistle.
They taste delicious. They take literally two minutes to make. They are packed full of goodness. And they can talk. Okay, they can’t talk. But everything else is true I promise. This is a little gem of a recipe.
I’ve noticed as I’m getting older (oh goodness, that is such an old lady thing to say), when I’ve finished eating, more and more I crave something sweet to finish with. I don’t know if this is a proven theory, that the older you get the more this happens, but I have definitely noticed it. But I don’t always want to spend ages in the kitchen slaving over a pudding so I’ve been making these little chocolate mousses for the last couple of years, and I can’t believe I haven’t got round to sharing them with you yet. Sorry about that.
They are perfect for when you need a little sweet treat in a hurry. They also have a secret ingredient. I love secret ingredients. The only downfall of secret ingredients is on this blog, being what it is…a recipe blog, I kind of have to share the recipe with you. So don’t go running when I tell you, okay? Promise me you will hear me out and trust in me when I tell you these are truly scrumptious.
Deep breath. Here goes. These are made out of avocado. Hold it right there.
I haven’t gone mad, I promise. I whipped these up at the weekend when my friend came over and I didn’t breathe a word. I just handed her a mousse and she got stuck in. Gobbled the whole lot and then I asked her to guess what was in it and she didn’t have a clue! She couldn’t believe it when I told her.
These don’t taste like you are digging into a chocolately pot of guacamole. That would be gross. You can’t taste the avocado at all, all it does is lend the mousse a gorgeously creamy texture.
I posted this image on Instagram yesterday and I thought it was so great, I thought I would share it with you here, in case you missed it. Good fats are not something to be scared of, they are essential and food of any kind is not to be feared.
- 1 large perfectly ripe avocado - or two little ones. Please don't attempt this recipe if your avocado is a bit hard, it won't be nice
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons almond milk, home-made or shop-bought, but make sure you buy unsweetened
- 2 -4 tablespoons of agave nectar, or maple syrup, depending on how sweet you like it
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Simply scoop out the avocado and pop it into a food processor. Make sure you scrape it out really well as so much of the goodness is really close to the skin
- Blitz until its really smooth and creamy.
- Now add the vanilla, almond milk, cacao powder and Agave. Blitz again. Now have a taste. Is it sweet enough? No? Well just add a dash more agave and blitz again.
- Pop into two little pots and enjoy! You can pop these in the fridge where they will sit happily until you are ready to eat them for a day or so.
- Serve with a bowl of raspberries.
These are also great with sliced banana and a dollop of coconut cream, and one of my favourite things to eat for breakfast is some home made quinoa granola sprinkled on top of this chocolate mousse with some sliced banana. Completely delicious!
Be sure to have a go and take a picture and tag me on Instagram @Madebymargie so that I can see your creations.