This is the ultimate Summer lunch.
It’s delicious and light yet completely satisfying. It looks like Summer on a plate and is so simple to make and maybe best of all, it requires absolutely no ‘cooking’ whatsoever! Nobody wants to be slaving away over a hot stove when the Sun comes out, and this is the perfect answer.
You don’t have to be a gluten-free bear to enjoy this, trust me, even spaghetti guzzlers won’t miss actual spaghetti with this courgetti. Fancy pants amongst you might have a special little gadget for making ‘spaghetti’ out of vegetables, it’s called a Spiralizer. But never fear – you don’t have to be a fancy pants, or even have fancy pants to make pasta out of vegetables…I have many fancy pants but I don’t own a Spiralizer. You can’t have it all. So instead, I just use a vegetable peeler and it does a terrific job.
- 3 courgettes
- 3 tablespoons of homemade pesto, you make it with basil, rocket or whatever tickles your fancy. If you are vegan or just super healthy you can easily leave the parmesan out of the pesto and it's still utterly delish
- 1 generous handful of cherry tomatoes, preferably a mixture of types and colours
- Handful of hazelnuts, without their skins on
- glug of olive oil
- Sprinkle of maldon salt
- Simply, preheat your oven to 200C.
- Tip your hazelnuts onto a baking tray and drizzle with the tiniest amount of olive oil, season with some salt and pepper and pop in the oven for about 7 minutes until they have a lovely tan, but make sure you take them out before they get too dark and bitter tasting. Leave to one side to cool.
- Half the tomatoes and throw into a large bowl.
- Add 3 tablespoons of pesto and give it a good stir. My pesto was quite thick so I added a glug of olive oil, but you don't want it drowning in oil so use your judgement here.
- Add a nice pinch of salt and pepper.
- Now take your courgettes and a vegetable peeler. Peel them completely and then simply take one courgette at a time and keep peeling until you get to the slightly furry, seedy middle bit. Turn the courgette around and then keep peeling. Repeat with all the courgettes.
- Throw your courgettes into the bowl of tomatoes and then toss it all together so that the courgettes are coated in the gorgeous pesto soaked tomatoes.
- Pile onto plates and top with the hazelnuts which you have roughly chopped by using a large knife just to chop through them a couple of times.
- Devour, preferably in the sunshine.