This is a deliciously quick dish to make. Courgetti has long been a staple meal in my house, and jazzing it up with some flaked salmon, pesto and cherry tomatoes just makes it a little bit extra special and completely delicious.
This dish is packed full of flavour, is abundant in goodness and is one of my current favourites.
It really does have it all. When people talk about eating the rainbow, this dish helps to show what they are talking about. Stay away from beige food and choose vibrant deliciousness. The healthy fats in the salmon, nuts and oil are perfect post work out, as well as providing a generous does of protein which is key. Nutrients in the courgette and tomato round off this dish perfectly. It also helps that it’s seriously delicious and can be on the table in less than 10 minutes.
This is perfect for making when you don’t fancy slaving away in the kitchen but still want something delicious and satisfying. I have also made it for friends when they’ve come over and no one ever realises just how quick and easy it is to make…until now because I am writing it down!
- 1 salmon fillet
- 2 x courgette
- handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 bunch basil, save some for garnish
- 1 clove garlic
- handful of walnuts, save a few for garnish
- good glug of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Start by preheating the oven. Pop the salmon on a baking tray. Season with a little salt and pepper. When the oven is hot, pop the salmon in, and cook for about 8-10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. Don’t over cook it, or it will be dry and horrid.
- You need to keep checking it, and as soon as it flakes away when you prod it, it’s done. I use a knife to delve into the middle of the fillet so I check the colour, as soon as it turns from orange to pink - it's done! But always err on underdone rather than over done with salmon
- While the salmon is cooking, get on and make your pesto. This is so easy, and we leave out the cheese, so it’s lighter!
- Bung the basil, the walnuts, garlic in the food processor. Add a generous glug of olive oil, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Whizz it up! Add more olive oil if necessary. Give it a taste and adjust accordingly.
- Peel your courgette into strips with a peeler, or use a spiralizer if you have one. Pop the courgetti and sliced tomato in a bowl. Add a good dollop of pesto and stir .
- Flake in the cooked salmon and garnish with basil sprigs, and a sprinkling of crushed walnuts.