I love a chopped salad. They’re so simple yet satisfying, and this one has it all! It’s fresh, zingy, crunchy, creamy, and absolutely packed full of flavour.
That’s quite the epitaph.
I made this salad the other night for some girlfriends. We ate it with roasted chicken thighs, whilst watching Love Island, sipping margaritas, and pretending we were in Mexico (sigh!).
I have to say, it was delicious. It makes a really light supper for when the weather is hot and you don’t feel like potatoes or rice (not that anyone in the UK would know what that feels like as we face yet another rainy day), or for when you’ve made a decadent coconut and raspberry sponge cake for pudding, that you want to leave room for.
That being said, I have made this salad with rice stirred through it before, and it was perfection. I’ve also served it with tacos…yum!
That’s the nice thing about a salad or a recipe like this, you can twist and adapt it to suit whatever you want, which, in my book, is what cooking is all out!
It’s the zingy jalapeño and lime dressing in this recipe that really makes you stand back and take notice.
I have a salad dressing recipe given to me by my mama, and it’s what I use on a daily basis to pour over my greens. Otherwise, I love just using freshly squeezed lemon juice and lots of herbs.
But this dressing was a sort of accident, but I’m so glad I made a mistake and ended up with it because it’s such a keeper! It has just the right amount of spice so that you definitely feel the heat on your tongue, but not so much it destroys all your taste buds.
Top tip from a chef: Always aim to keep your tastebuds.
- For the dressing:
- 1 clove garlic
- juice of 1 lime
- 4 - 6 slices of jarred jalapeños or 1 small whole one depending on what you can find and how spicy you like it
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon red win vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- For the salad
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 1 tin of sweetcorn
- good handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 1 red pepper
- 1 cup grated raw beetroot
- 1 handful of chopped coriander
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- ¼ cup of feta
- For the dressing simply bung everything into a blender and blitz until it all comes together. Give it a taste and see if it needs more spice, in which case you can add more jalapeños. check for seasoning. If not using immediately you can store in a jam jar with a lid in the fridge for several weeks.
- For the salad simply tear the lettuce and pop into a bowl. Quarter the cherry tomatoes and then roughly chop the pepper to be the same size. Add the sweetcorn, the grated beetroot and the sliced avocado. Top with the crumbled feta, the chopped coriander and garnish with the lime wedges.
- When ready to serve simply drizzle the dressing over the salad a little at a time until you see how much you need and give it all a good stir. YUM.