There is a proverb that says that there is no question that can’t be answered with chocolate. How true this is.
Is there anything better than the smell of freshly baked cookies? With this recipe, there is no need to faff around with beating the butter in a mixer. This is a one-pot recipe that could not be easier and makes the most incredible chocolate cookies with a gooey caramel centre…try not to dribble.
Freshly baked cookies in 10 minutes, with only one pot to wash up…too good to be true? Think again Gunga Din
Be warned though, these come out as cookie monster sized cookies. Not that that is something I would ever complain about. Also holding one of these has the same effect as celebrities wearing huge handbags to make them look skinner. Fact.
Makes 6 GIANT cookies.
(Or 12 normal size cookies – just cook for 2 mins less)
- 110g butter
- 350g light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 55g cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 260g plain flour
- 2 packets of rolos, or caramels of your choice
- First, as always, preheat your oven to 180c/350f.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment, or if you are a fancy pants you can use a silicon baking mat.
- I always find it is easiest to get all your ingredients ready before you begin. If you weigh everything up at the beginning it makes cooking a total breeze. Plus if you do this, it is easier to pretend you are a TV chef with your own cookery programme. Get ready to lick that spoon seductively as you stare into the imaginary camera.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Once the butter has melted, turn off the heat and stir in the brown sugar and the eggs.
- Add the cocoa, salt and baking powder and give another stir.
- Then add the flour and mix gently just until all the floury lumps have disappeared (over mixing when you have added flour will result in a tough cookie…don’t pretend you aren’t imagining a cookie in a pair of boxing gloves).
- If you have an ice-cream scoop this is the perfect implement to scoop the mixture into 6 balls and place on the lined tray. Don’t worry at all if you don’t have an ice cream scoop, a tablespoon works just as well, as do your hands if you don’t mind those paws getting a little messy.
- n press 3 rolos into the middle of each ball.
- And top this with another scoop of mixture…see I told you these were monsters.
- Then bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes. They are done when the edges feel firm when poked. The whole cookie will seem very soft, but they will harden as they cool, so don’t be fooled into over baking them.
- If you are really piggy like me, these can be served with a pot of homemade caramel sauce for dipping them into. Just in case you didn’t have enough caramel. Which you never can.