This is such a gorgeous little Summer soup
I think soups often get over looked in the Summer, and whilst I agree I probably wouldn’t want to tuck into a hearty stew in the middle of July, a chilled soup can be just the ticket.
This chilled cucumber and mint soup tastes completely delicious and looks ever so pretty. But that isn’t even the best thing about this little soup…there is absolutely no cooking involved whatsoever! It’s a raw soup, so you can feel very trendy that you are participating in the foodie movement of the moment! And it literally takes three minutes to knock together. How fab is that??
This makes the most perfect starter for a Summer dinner party, or even a lovely light Supper when you need something refreshing and gorgeous. This soup is completely heavenly. Packed full of cucumber, it means that this soup is gorgeously hydrating. The mint is fantastic for your digestion and it’s a natural stimulant which means that the smell alone is enough to help give you a little boost and recharge your batteries. If you are feeling sluggish, anxious, depressed or simply exhausted, then get chomping on some Mint, as it can really help.
- 4 cucumbers, peeled
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup plain yoghurt, or creme fraiche
- juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup of water
- 4 spring onions, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup mint leaves, no stems (1 small handful)
- salt and pepper
- creme fraiche, loosened with lemon juice and seasoned with salt and pepper
- crispy fried pancetta
- mint sprigs
- Right, so, peel all 4 cucumbers and then slice them all in half lengthways. Use a teaspoon to scoop out the watery seeds . I don't know about you, but I always find doing this oddly satisfying.
- Right, pop one of the halves to one side for later.
- Roughly chop the rest of the cucumber and bung it in the blender, or food processor. Then add the garlic, yoghurt/creme fraiche, lemon juice and water. Give it a really good blend until its lovely and smooth.
- Isn't it a fantastic colour? So pretty!
- Now, add the sliced spring onions and the mint leaves. Season. Then blitz again until its gorgeously smooth.
- Taste. Add a little more salt and pepper if necessary or maybe a bit more lemon juice if you think it needs it.
- Now, pop in the fridge to chill for at least 3 hours before serving. This is brilliant to make the day before, so it's perfect for hassle free entertaining!
- Make sure you pop your bowls in the fridge too for an hour before you want to eat, so that the whole thing is wonderfully cold when you eat it.
- When you are ready to serve, chop the remaining cucumber into little dice, drizzle them with a hint of olive oil and pinch of salt and pepper.
- I then like to loosen a bit of creme fraiche (or yoghurt) with lemon juice and a splash of water. Season this too.
- To serve, simply scoop the chilled soup into the chilled bowls. Everything is very chilled, including you...no stress at all. Now drizzle a professional looking swirl of creme fraiche on top of each bowl, and top with a little mound of cucumber dice and a tiny sprig of mint.