Not only is this completely delicious, but it’s also really nutritious!
I’m having a love affair with brown rice spaghetti. I love it. I think it tastes even better than ordinary pasta and it doesn’t leave you feeling sluggish and bloated like the refined white stuff. It’s a great source of fibre which is excellent news and is ideal for people who can’t eat gluten. But honestly all these benefits are just secondary to the fact that it tastes amazing!
You will also know by now how much I love avocados. To me, they can do no wrong. I love their creamy delicious texture and I really love how good they are for you. The healthy fats in avocados are absolutely amazing for your hair and help to make your skin glow. They’re just so good.
This makes the perfect Summer lunch, and it is so quick to make you can easily rustle this up when you get home from work in the evening. The longest part it waiting for the pasta to cook, and we all know that really doesn’t take very long.
The ultimate fast food. Fresh, healthy and delicious.
- about 170g brown rice spaghetti (available in lots of places, I got mine in Wholefoods)
- 1 large, perfectly ripe avocado
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- small bunch of basil, I used Greek Basil because I just can't resist how pretty it is
- Generous grind of pepper
- generous sprinkle of Maldon salt
- zest of one lemon
- juice of half a lemon
- Right, so all you have to do is get the water boiling. Throw in a sprinkle of salt and a glug of olive oil. Add you pasta and cook according to packet instructions. Remember that pasta is so much nicer a little al dente, so I normally cook it for about 1-2 minutes less than the packet tells me too...
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, you can get on with making your avocado cream. It's so simple.
- First, zest your lemon and set the zest to one side.
- Scoop the flesh from the avocado out and into the bowl of your food processor. Remember to scrape all the flesh nearest the skin out, as that's where lots of the goodness lives.
- Throw in all the basil apart from a few sprigs which you can use to decorate the pasta with.
- Add the garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and the juice from half of the lemon you zested.
- Whizz it all up and you should be left with a thick, creamy and amazing looking avocado cream that you almost want to dive into.
- It's ready! How easy was that?? Once the pasta is cooked, drain immediately and then pour over the avocado sauce and give it a good mix so that all the pasta is coated in the creamy sauce.
- Divide between two plates. Garnish with a few basil sprigs and a sprinkling of lemon zest.
Utterly, utterly delicious!
My top tip would be to eat this straight away and don’t try to reheat it as due to the avocado it tends to turn a little brown and get’s a bit unappealing. But it’s so easy to make, there is no need to make it in advance. Give it a go and let me know how you get on!
Don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram photos so I can see your creations @madebymargie