The cold weather in London at the moment is making me want to just wrap myself in a cocoon of pastry and warm bread so that I can slowly gobble myself out of my carby cocoon. Wait, sorry, what? Weird to say, but actually very accurate to how I am feeling.
Short of that, I will settle for this warming coconut tarragon chicken and mushroom concoction. When it gets cold, I like to warm myself from all angles. This means, thick socks, log fires (in my dreams), hot water bottles and warming, comforting meals.
I’ve felt so busy recently that I haven’t had time to spend ages in the kitchen, and that’s another reason I love this dish – it’s so quick and easy to knock together. It also has that rare quality of being comforting and delicious, while also feeling light and healthy. Normally the sort of comfort I seek can only be found in stodge which can leave you feeling stodgy yourself. But this is thickened with coconut cream and cornflour, and I love it!
This is kind of like making a delicious pie filling – in fact, you could totally add a puff pastry lid and bung it in the oven for an invitation to pie heaven.
I tend to serve this with basmati rice, but it would also be great with mashed potato, brown rice, pasta or courgetti.
- 2 good quality chicken breasts, chopped
- 150g mushrooms
- 1 bunch tarragon, leaves stripped off the stalk and chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- I tend to use 2 pans for this, just as I find it saves a bit of time.
- In one pan I add a bit of olive oil and once its nice and hot I add the chopped chicken breasts. The smaller you chop them, the quicker they will cook.
- In the next pan, I add a splash of olive oil and then add the mushrooms. Fry until golden.
- Tip these into a bowl and then add the butter and gently fry the red onion until soft.
- Add the garlic and fry for another 30 seconds.
- Once the chicken is golden and nearly cooked through, add the mushrooms and cooked onions to the pan with the chicken.
- Mix one tablespoon of coconut milk with the cornflour and set aside.
- Pour the rest of the coconut milk into the pan and bring to the boil. Let it cook for a few minutes. Season well and then add the cornflour mix to help it thicken up. Let it bubble gently away for another minute.
- I always check the chicken is cooked all the way through by cutting into one of the pieces. Stir through the chopped tarragon and serve with rice.