I wasn’t intending to do this as a blog post.
It’s just one of my favourite really quick things to whip up when I’m craving something seriously easy, healthy and incredibly delicious.
I took a quick snap of it and popped it on Instagram and the feedback was so positive, I thought I would share it with all of you.
This seriously could not be any easier to make. I think possibly referring to it as a recipe might be a little pompous. But hey, you know the saying about the simple things in life. No? Well, often, they’re the best.
If you’ve overindulged the night before. Had one more tipple than you should and it’s left you toppling, this is the breakfast for you. It’s the new fry up, don’t ya know. Wave goodbye to the greasy fry up which might be delicious at the time, but ultimately always ends up making you feel more terrible as the day goes on.
Your skin, tummy and taste buds will thank you for choosing this Amazing Breakfast Tortilla over your Greasy Spoon. Avocadoes are amazing for your skin, they kelp to keep it smooth and soft and repair damaged skin cells. They also give you lots of slow burning energy which will help you feel fuller for longer. The black beans are packed full of protein and fibre which is fantastic for your digestion as well as helping to regulate your flood sugar levels which is exactly what you want, so you don’t get the dreaded energy slump which will have you reaching for the cookie jar. All topped off with a perfectly nourishing egg. Completely perfect.
Not that this is just for the party animals amongst you. I love this as a breakfast on any day of the week. I also happen to love it for lunch. And Supper.
If I’ve made my Mexican Chicken, Black Bean & Avocado Burrito Bowls the day before, then this recipe is even easier to whip up, using the left overs. But even if you start from scratch this takes about 8 mins to make. No excuses.
- 1 avocado
- 2 tortillas, you can buy really great Gluten Free ones at most big supermarkets
- 1 can/carton of cooked black beans (we are going for the easy route here folks, but of course you can buy the dried ones and do the whole soaking and then cooking malarky. Jeeze. Putting me to shame)
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and pepper
- ½ lemon
- 2 eggs
- Hot sauce optional
- 2 little dollops of coconut oil
- Right, pop the oven on to about 180C. Slide the tortillas onto baking sheet and when the oven is hot pop the tortillas in for about 5 mins to warm through a little.
- Pop a dollop of coconut oil into a saucepan. Then add the crushed garlic. Cook for about 30 seconds until the garlic smells amazing.
- Before the garlic burns, drain the beans and then throw them (carefully) into the pan. Give them a good stir to make sure all the beans are coated in the garlicky oil.
- Meanwhile you can prepare the avocado. Simply peel it and get rid of the stone. Now place on a chopping board and then mash roughly with a fork.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- When you're ready. Remove the tortillas from the oven and divide the avocado mash between the two. Then top with the black beans.
- Fry the eggs in a pan with a little coconut oil. Flip these out onto the tortillas and add a dash of hot sauce, if you like a bit of heat.
Utterly utterly delicious. You are now ready to tackle anything.